Friday, October 5, 2007


This past June I had the wonderful priviledge to attend the "Worship and the Arts Conference" at Willow Creek Church. This was my first experience at Willow Creek and I went feeling some reservation about the style and scope of their ministry. I must admit how pleased and surprised I was by what I encountered and left feeling much admiration for this church and their vision of the Kingdom of God.

There were several key ingredients from the conference that I left chewing on and really evoked in me a strong desire to view life differently. The first from Dewitt Jones, a National Geographic photographer, who in a very unassuming style transported my mind into images of God’s creation and our ability to see God in a multiplicity of ways. I also heard from Erwin McManus who really challenged me in a presentation that was so unorthodox and fresh that I was confused and unaware as to what was happening for most of the presentation. In a combination of proclamation, narrative, rap, dance, melodrama, music, and visual art, we were led along a path that encouraged us to scribble outside the lines.

I left Willow with a renewed passion for moving into a new direction as an artist and worship pastor. I was reminded that transformation must begin in me. As I emerge as a spiritual leader with a new and ever changing perspective of the Kingdom of God, the opportunities for transformation are limitless.

No comments: